Formula 1
Formula 1
02 Jul
-
05 Jul
FP3 in
04 Hours
:
13 Minutes
:
08 Seconds
R
Styrian GP
09 Jul
-
12 Jul
FP1 in
6 days
16 Jul
-
19 Jul
FP1 in
13 days
31 Jul
-
02 Aug
FP1 in
27 days
R
70th Anniversary GP
06 Aug
-
09 Aug
FP1 in
34 days
13 Aug
-
16 Aug
FP1 in
41 days
R
Italian GP
03 Sep
-
06 Sep
FP1 in
62 days
24 Sep
-
27 Sep
FP1 in
83 days
29 Oct
-
01 Nov
FP1 in
118 days
R
Brazilian GP
12 Nov
-
15 Nov
FP1 in
132 days
R
Abu Dhabi GP
26 Nov
-
29 Nov
FP1 in
146 days

Signing Alonso wouldn't be 'healthy' - Red Bull

shares
comments
Signing Alonso wouldn't be 'healthy' - Red Bull
By:
Aug 9, 2018, 9:31 AM

Red Bull Formula 1 team boss Christian Horner says it wouldn't be “the healthiest thing” for his outfit to pursue Fernando Alonso as replacement for Renault-bound Daniel Ricciardo.

Ricciardo, who has been part of Red Bull's senior F1 team since 2014, stunned the organisation last week by sealing a surprise move to the factory Renault outfit for next year.

His decision has left a coveted, top-tier F1 seat vacant, and this has led to suggestions Red Bull could offer two-time champion Alonso a route back to the sharp end of the grid – as the Spaniard has been mired in the series' midfield since joining McLaren in 2015.

However, in conversation with F1's official podcast Beyond the Grid, Horner all but dismissed this possibility, citing both the need to promote Red Bull's existing homegrown talent and 37-year-old Alonso's reputation for causing upheaval.

“I’ve got huge respect for Fernando, he’s a great, fantastic driver, but it would be very difficult to see,” Horner said. “He’s tended to cause a bit of chaos wherever he’s gone.

“I’m not sure it would be the healthiest thing for the team for Fernando to join.

“Our preference would be to continue to invest in youth than take a driver who is obviously close to the end of his career.”

Two Red Bull-contracted drivers - Pierre Gasly, who competes for Red Bull's junior team Toro Rosso, and Carlos Sainz, who was loaned by the energy drinks giant to Renault for 2018 – are viewed as the contenders to replace Ricciardo and partner Max Verstappen at the main outfit.

“We’re fortunate that we’ve got several drivers under contract that are great talents,” Horner said. “I think we’re going to sit back and evaluate what the situation is, see what comes out.

“It’s an incredibly attractive car to be driving, I don’t think we’re going to be short of requests and offers.

“I think we’ll look at everything. The preferred route will be to invest, as has been so successful, in home talent. [Sebastian] Vettel, Verstappen, Ricciardo, Sainz, Gasly – they are all products of the junior programme that have delivered for us.

“Both of those guys [Sainz and Gasly] are very quick drivers so I think this just gives us opportunity to take a breath.

“They’re under contract anyway till the end of the summer or beyond. We’ll look at the options available to us and make sure we make the right decision for the team.”

Pierre Gasly, Toro Rosso, talks with Carlos Sainz Jr., Renault Sport F1 Team, and Sergio Perez, Force India

Pierre Gasly, Toro Rosso, talks with Carlos Sainz Jr., Renault Sport F1 Team, and Sergio Perez, Force India

Photo by: Andrew Hone / LAT Images

Next article
F1 open to taking "risks" with new races

Previous article

F1 open to taking "risks" with new races

Next article

The drive behind Mercedes' heir to Hamilton

The drive behind Mercedes' heir to Hamilton
Load comments