Bentley evaluating FE, Hypercar after ending GT3 programme

Formula E and the Le Mans Hypercar division are two of the options under evaluation as Bentley plots its motorsport future after the end of its Continental GT3 programme.

Bentley evaluating FE, Hypercar after ending GT3 programme

The British manufacturer's racing boss, Paul Williams, stressed there was still an intent for the brand to be involved in motorsport on the announcement on Thursday of a staged withdrawal from the GT3 arena, starting with the end of its factory programme on this conclusion of the current season.

He revealed that the Volkswagen-owned marque is looking at multiple disciplines that might fit with the brand strategy revealed last month to become a carbon-neutral manufacturer producing only electric vehicles by 2030. 

"We have four or five things that we are actually looking at," said Williams. 

"I am not going to say which it is going to be because it is still very much an open discussion. 

"The options at the moment are very wide, but the principle is that we want to do motorsport in the future.

"It has been sustainable: we have to do something that ties into where the brand wants to go."

Bentley is involved in multiple working groups at the FIA, Williams confirmed.

"I am not going to say which ones we are on, but we are involved in more than one thing at the moment, keeping options open" he said.

"We have engaged very closely in a number of different forms of future-type racing." 

He did confirm, however, that Bentley is involved in the discussions regarding the FIA's drive to create an electric GT series.

Asked if Formula E, which will introduce the new Gen3 car for its 2022/23 season, was one of them, Williams replied: "It's obviously a consideration."

He also admitted that the new Extreme E off-road series that comes on stream in 2021 is another option for a brand that entered the SUV market with the Bentayga model launched in 2015. 

"In the first things we looked at, it wasn't on the listing, but it has more recently moved onto the list as something that we could be interested in," he explained. 

"I have someone looking at that as an option — it is a fascinating format."

Williams revealed that Bentley's new focus on electrification has not stifled the marque's ambitions to return to the Le Mans 24 Hours, in which the last of its six victories came in 2003 with Speed 8 LMGTP coupe. 

He admitted that there was interest in the LMH category that comes on stream next year, LMDh which could arrive as early as the year after, and the new category planned for hydrogen fuel-cell cars in 2024. 

"We will continue to sell combustion cars for the next few years and we are pushing very strongly on our hybrid technology, [so] I am not discounting hybrid or various other forms of motorsport," explained Williams

He described the new class for hydrogen cars as "one of the things I am particularly interested in". 

"People talk about it as hydrogen, but it is fuel cell/electric, so it is a from of electric endurance racing," he said 

"It is definitely on my list of things that are interestng and, of course, as a brand we love the Le Mans principle."

Asked about Bentley's relative interest in the three routes available to try to win the French enduro in the future, Williams replied: "I would probably say electric-hydrogen would be the highest, and LM Hypercar second and LMDh third."

He described the spec hybrid system of the LMP2-based LMDh category as "quite a weak answer" and revealed that "if it was a much stronger hybrid proposition, we would probably be far more inclined to go that way".

He also mentioned the "massive cost differential between doing an LM Hypercar and doing an LMDh" and said that "for a brand our size that makes it [LMH] very challenging".

Williams set no timetable for Bentley's return to motorsport after its GT3 programme winds down nor for a decision on what direction it will take. 

#7 Bentley Team M-Sport Bentley Continental GT3: Jules Gounon, Maxime Soulet, Jordan Pepper

#7 Bentley Team M-Sport Bentley Continental GT3: Jules Gounon, Maxime Soulet, Jordan Pepper

Photo by: Bentley

shares
comments

Related video

Why BMW and Audi have pulled the plug on Formula E

Previous article

Why BMW and Audi have pulled the plug on Formula E

Next article

Porsche reaffirms Formula E commitment after Audi, BMW exit

Porsche reaffirms Formula E commitment after Audi, BMW exit
Load comments

About this article

Series WEC , Formula E
Author Gary Watkins
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Prime

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades.

Formula E
May 12, 2021
How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Prime

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock.

Formula E
May 11, 2021
Why Formula E's Valencia fiasco undermines engineering talent Prime

Why Formula E's Valencia fiasco undermines engineering talent

FIA president Jean Todt wanted more Formula E coverage in the media, and got his wish when the opening Valencia E-Prix proved farcical. Despite attempts to spin the race as teams failing to get their sums right, Formula E and its governing body cannot escape blame - especially when trying to get teams to commit long-term.

Formula E
Apr 27, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce gave Formula E an image problem Prime

How Valencia E-Prix farce gave Formula E an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair.

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Prime

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Prime

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits.

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Prime

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons.

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021
The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021 Prime

The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021

The delayed 2020-21 Formula E season gets underway this week with a double-header in Saudi Arabia. The testing times were too close to call a favourite, but that's not the only area of interest to follow as the championship enters a crucial year

Formula E
Feb 25, 2021