FIA: Formula E twin-motor ban a cost-saving decision

The FIA has clarified the decision to ban twin-motor powertrains from Formula E, with technical director Gilles Simon saying it was taken over costs and “not to limit technology development”.

FIA: Formula E twin-motor ban a cost-saving decision

The decision to ban twin-motor powertrains, which only impacts on the Nissan e.dams squad, for the 2019/20 ABB FIA FE season was announced at the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council meeting earlier this month.

Several FE team bosses subsequently explained that the decision had been taken to try and ensure competitive parity in future seasons, with Nissan’s motorsport chief Michael Carcamo saying it followed discussions “to ensure the best championship we can [have]”.

But this led to questions regarding FE’s ethos of driving innovation in electric vehicle technology, to which the FIA has now responded.

Following a request for clarification from Motorsport.com about this issue, Simon said: “The new technical regulations have been set to reduce costly architecture of powertrains, not to limit technology development.

“It is not innovative to design two motors instead of one for the same total power output.

“What is innovative is surely to work on better efficiency of motors to produce more power for a given amount of energy available at the battery.”

Simon also explained why the Nissan technology that has been deemed illegal by the FIA for next season remains legal for the conclusion of the current campaign.

He said: “All powertrains currently running in FE are legal and homologated for this season.

“Following discussions with the manufacturers, we proposed to [make] the regulation precise and limit the architecture of FE cars to one single motor.

“This will not limit the potential technology development but will reduce the complexity of the architecture.

“This modification required the unanimous support of the manufacturers to be implemented as soon as next season.

“This was voted for by all manufacturers and was accepted at the June 14 WMSC.”

Nissan publicly acknowledged that it was running a twin-motor powertrain for the first time at last weekend’s Swiss E-Prix in Bern.

Team principal Jean-Paul Driot said the move had been taken because “we were quite strong on the track”.

“In order to balance everyone, they decided that we will have to go back to one [motor],” Driot continued in response to a question from Motorsport.com over whether the move was stifling FE innovation.

“We were surprised because we were homologated by the FIA at the beginning of the season. But apparently this solution was a little bit too innovative.

“It’s difficult – in one way, only one team out of the championship doing this. It was easier to tell us to go back to one [motor] than to tell the others to have the same solution like Nissan has done.

“So we have said ‘The FIA has decided’ and for next year it’s another challenge for us.

“Because we have to go back and build a new powertrain in a very short period of time. But that’s it, it’s life.” 

shares
comments
Layout revealed for Seoul Formula E race

Previous article

Layout revealed for Seoul Formula E race

Next article

Mahindra to debut 2019/2020 FE powertrain at Goodwood

Mahindra to debut 2019/2020 FE powertrain at Goodwood
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula E
Teams Nissan e.dams
Author Alex Kalinauckas
How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco Prime

How Formula E stood up to F1 comparisons in Monaco

OPINION: It was no surprise to anybody that the laptimes achieved by Formula E cars on the full Monaco circuit were much slower than Formula 1. But perhaps the more relevant comparison was in the racing spectacle, where FE delivered in spades.

Formula E
May 12, 2021
How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover Prime

How Monaco dealt Formula E a winning hand to cure its hangover

Formula E faced much criticism in the wake of its maligned Valencia event. In need of a turnaround, the series' first use of Monaco's iconic Formula 1 layout provided it with the injection of thrills required to clear the fog that had enveloped the paddock.

Formula E
May 11, 2021
Why Formula E's Valencia fiasco undermines engineering talent Prime

Why Formula E's Valencia fiasco undermines engineering talent

FIA president Jean Todt wanted more Formula E coverage in the media, and got his wish when the opening Valencia E-Prix proved farcical. Despite attempts to spin the race as teams failing to get their sums right, Formula E and its governing body cannot escape blame - especially when trying to get teams to commit long-term.

Formula E
Apr 27, 2021
How Valencia E-Prix farce gave Formula E an image problem Prime

How Valencia E-Prix farce gave Formula E an image problem

Formula E was under the microscope at Valencia, on its first visit to a permanent circuit. But after a mere nine drivers were left classified following Saturday's Valencia E-Prix, the electric championship once more faced criticism after rising energy deductions and miscalculations produced a farcical affair.

Formula E
Apr 25, 2021
How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome Prime

How Vergne and Vandoorne found redemption in Rome

Another Formula E double-header, another double dose of frantic action. While the form guide remains unpredictable following fightback wins for Jean-Eric Vergne and Stoffel Vandoorne in Rome, the speed and consistency of Mercedes – both on and off the track – could have its rivals worried for what is to follow

Formula E
Apr 12, 2021
What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future Prime

What Nissan's commitment to Gen3 reveals about Formula E's future

Formula E's Gen3 era grid continues to take shape, after Nissan opted to commit to the series for another four years. Nissan's global chief operating officer explains why it has thrown its lot in with FE while other high-profile marques have decided to call it quits.

Formula E
Mar 24, 2021
Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start Prime

Why the new Formula E season got off to such a controversial start

With the new Formula E season belatedly getting underway in Saudi Arabia, the championship appeared to try to make up for lost time with an overspill of action and controversy on and off the track. While some talking points could have serious repercussions, it was an explosive opener for many reasons.

Formula E
Mar 1, 2021
The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021 Prime

The eight major plotlines to watch in Formula E 2021

The delayed 2020-21 Formula E season gets underway this week with a double-header in Saudi Arabia. The testing times were too close to call a favourite, but that's not the only area of interest to follow as the championship enters a crucial year

Formula E
Feb 25, 2021