Fergus, Holton, and Jordan are Pirelli World Challenge winners
One round left in TC, TCA and TCB classes.
Corey Fergus, in a Porsche Cayman, won the Round 17 TC win at the Pirelli World Challenge Grand Prix of Monterey at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca presented by Cadillac. Paul Holton took the TCA win in a Honda Civic Si, while Joey Jordan, won in TCB, driving a Mazda 2.
In TC, polesitter Adam Poland, of Mt. Vernon, Texas, in the No. 33 Edge Addicts/Majestic Pet EASTEX Motorsports Mazda MX-5 launched cleanly to take the lead through turn 1 over second-on-the-grid Fergus in the No. 00 USLED/Axis Roofing/AERO/RSS/Motul Motorsports Promotions Porsche Cayman.
The race restarted after a yellow to commence lap 2 with Poland getting passed by both Fergus, and Salt Lake City, Utah's Vesko Kozarov in the No. 3 Nissan/Skullcandy/Stance Skullcandy Team Nissan Altima through turn 2. Poland then was passed by Ernie Francis, Jr., of Davie, Fla., in the No. 98 Breathless Racing/Time4Learning Mazda MX-5 and momentarily dropped back to fourth, only to repass for third at the corkscrew.
In TCA, polesitter Holton, in the No. 71 Children's Tumor Foundation/HPD/Racing4Research.org Compass360 Racing Honda Civic Si, led over number three and four grid-sitters Patrick Seguin of Ottawa, Ont., in the No. 39 helpkevinproject.com Team Ost Racing Honda Civic Si and class championship points leader Mt. Vernon, Ohio's Jason Wolfe in the No.36 Wolfe Trucking Kinetic Motorsports Kia Forte Koup.
In TCB, second-on-the-grid Andrei Kisel, of North Vancouver, B.C. in the No. 57 Racing.ca/LaptopScreen.com Racing.ca MINI Cooper, took the lead over polesitter Jordan, in the No. 47 Mazda 2, and class championship points leader Johan Schwartz, of Huntersville, S.C. in the No. 25 Tech Sport Racing/CASgroup/Serengeti/ZERO Cancer Tech Sport Racing Chevy Sonic.
Said overall winner Fergus: "At the start, I was in third entering turn two but decided I didn't want to be in third at that point. So I went to the outside and grabbed first place which was a little hairy. I had a lead for a while and then Ernie (Francis Jr.) got by Vesko (Kozarov) for second. That made my race even more exciting as he began closing on me. That Mazda was very fast behind me. I definitely ran the rear tires off my car and I had a lot of fun.
"We really needed that win for the championship today. I have a little bit more of a cushion in the points. We can't rest yet. One more race to go on Sunday. I think I can clinch the title with a spot on the podium. I need to stay in that mindset. Taking second or third would be fine if we can grab the championship. It's not easy to finish on the podium in the Pirelli World Challenge series though."
The final race of the Championship, Round 18 is scheduled for 8:35 a.m. Pacific/11:35 a.m. Eastern. Watch live streaming of the race at world-challengetv.com or motortrendondemand.com.
RESULTS from Saturday's 24-lap 53.712 mile Pirelli World Challenge Championship TC/TCA/TCB Round 17 race, part of the Monterey Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca presented by Cadillac at Mazda Raceway, with finishing position, class, starting position in parentheses, driver, hometown, car, laps and reason out (if any).
1. TC, (2), Corey Fergus(R), Columbus, Ohio, Porsche Cayman, 24.
2. TC, (6), Ernie Francis_Jr, Davie, Fla., MAZDA MX-5, 24, -.208.
3. TC, (3), Vesko Kozarov, Salt Lake, Utah, Nissan Altima, 24, -15.965.
4. TC, (1), Adam Poland, Mt. Vernon, Texas, Mazda MX-5, 24, -28.191.
5. TC, (8), Kevin Krauss, Fishers, Ind., Porsche Cayman, 24, -31.396.
6. TC, (13), Alex Welch, Englewood, Colo., Volkswagen Jetta GLI, 24, -39.002.
7. TC, (7), Austin Snader, Sealy, Texas, Mazda MX-5, 24, -40.928.
8. TC, (10), Nicolas Hammann, Elkhart Lake, Wis., Nissan 370Z, 24, -49.169.
9. TC, (5), Randy Hale, Haddam, Conn., Mazda MX-5, 24, -53.973.
10. TC, (4), Fred Emich, Denver, Colo., Volkswagen Jetta GLi, 24, -59.842.
11. TC, (12), Paul Street(R), Anniston, Ala., Honda Accord, 24, -1:15.417.
12. TC, (11), Steve Burns(R), San Antonio, Texas, Ford Mustang V6, 24, -1:31.595.
13. TC, (9), John Weisberg, Webster, N.Y., Mazda MX-5, 0, -24 laps.
14. TCA, (14), Paul Holton, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda Civic Si, 24.
15. TCA, (16), Patrick Seguin, Ottawa, Ontario, Honda Civic Si, 24, -3.535.
16. TCA, (17), Jason Wolfe, Mt. Vernon, Ohio, Kia Forte Koup, 23, -11.044.
17. TCA, (22), Paul Whiting, Pahrump, Nev., Honda Civic Si, 23, -21.732.
18. TCA, (15), Steve Bottom, Newport Beach, Calif., Mazda MX-5, 23, -27.921.
19. TCA, (26), Emilee Tominovich(R), Clarksville, Md., Honda Civic Si, 23, -44.792.
20. TCA, (25), Andrew Rains(R), Auburn, Ala., Honda Civic Si, 23, -44.859.
21. TCA, (18), Kris Wright(R), Pittsburgh, Pa., Kia Forte Koup, 23, -47.613.
22. TCA, (19), Tony Rivera, Vista, Calif., Scion FRS Coupe, 23, -1:29.533.
23. TCA, (24), Samantha Tan(R), Gormley, Ontario, Kia Forte Koup, 22, -2 lap.
24. TCA, (23), Gino Carini, Fox Point, Wis., Mazda RX8, 22, -2 lap.
25. TCA, (20), Kevin Anderson, Huntington Station, N.Y., Mazda RX8, 21, -3 lap.
26. TCA, (21), Brian Lift(R), Crestwood, Ill., Mazda RX-8, 0, -24 laps.
27. TCB, (27), Joey Jordan, Fallbrook, Calif., Mazda 2, 21.
28. TCB, (28), Andrei Kisel, N. Vancouver, British Columbia, MINI Cooper, 21, -8.650.
29. TCB, (32), Glenn Nixon, Mission, British Columbia, Honda Fit, 21, -11.419.
30. TCB, (29), Johan Schwartz, Huntersville, S.C., Chevy Sonic, 21, -13.016.
31. TCB, (30), Tom O'Gorman(R), Mason, Ohio, Honda Fit, 21, -21.483.
32. TCB, (31), Nic Duynstee, Vancouver, British Columbia, MINI Cooper, 21, -31.840.
33. TCB, (40), James Wilson, Kyle, Texas, Mazda 2, 21, -39.005.
34. TCB, (34), Jason Fichter, Jupiter, Fla., MINI Cooper, 21, -42.134.
35. TCB, (33), Jay Salinsky, New Port Richey, Fla., Honda Fit, 21, -43.715.
36. TCB, (35), Van Svenson(R), Hyde Park, N.Y., Chevrolet Sonic, 21, -45.294.
37. TCB, (36), PJ Groenke, Toronto, Canada, MINI Cooper, 21, -1:01.110.
38. TCB, (42), Cameron Parsons, Fountain Valley, Calif., Mazda 2, 21, -1:05.539.
39. TCB, (41), Steve Taake, Houston, Texas, Mazda 2, 20, -1 lap.
40. TCB, (38), Tom Noble, Medina, Minn., MINI Cooper, 17, -4 lap.
41. TCB, (37), Matt Travis, The Woodlands, Texas, Ford Fiesta, 16, -5 lap.
42. TCB, (39), Marc Sherrin(R), Lucas, Texas, Ford Fiesta, 9, -12 laps.
TRG-Aston Martin Racing looks for a final victory to finish the 2015 World Challenge season
O'Connell and Cadillac take Pirelli World Challenge championship