GREENVILLE, SC (May 8, 2004)- After a slow season start, Marietta's Marty Ward looks to be hitting on all cylinders at Greenville Pickens Speedway. The defending track champ coasted to an easy win in the 40 lap Late Model feature event, his third ...
GREENVILLE, SC (May 8, 2004)- After a slow season start, Marietta's Marty Ward looks to be hitting on all cylinders at Greenville Pickens Speedway. The defending track champ coasted to an easy win in the 40 lap Late Model feature event, his third straight trip to victory lane in the Norris Ford. Kenneth Headen, driving a Chevrolet, kept up with Ward in the early circuits but dropped off the pace in the closing laps to finish in second about 5 car lengths back. David Roberts in the Brockman Dodge placed third.
The win inched Ward closer to point leader Headen, but his slow season start has Ward trailing by Headen by 10 points and Roberts by 6 points.
"We had our car a little off tonight," Ward said, "but I guess everyone else had their cars a little off as well. Early in the year, we struggled a bit, but things have been coming together in past weeks. If it weren't for Tommy and Ryan Norris, none of this would be possible."
David Roberts was the top qualifier with a time of 20.529 and an average speed of 87.681 MPH. Roberts drew for inversion putting Ward and Headen on the front row for the start.
Brad Jeter provided the only fireworks of the race as he crashed his racer at the start-finish line. David Roberts and Kenneth Headen provided the best race within the race as Roberts put on a late race charge at Headen to challenge for second position. Roberts charge fell short and Headen hung on to claim second place. Blair Addis continued his consistent season by placing fourth, with Anthony Anders in fifth. Easley's Ken Guthrie, Bob Mangum, Kyle Gregson, Ray Spearman, and Michael Burt rounded out the sixth through tenth place positions.
Robbie Jackson worked his way through the Super Charger field to take the checkered flag, with Tim Sams of Greenville placing second. Liberty's Chris Meinders was third, followed by Stanley Pressley, Mitchell Mote, Shane Gentry and Eddie Trammell.
In the Charger One race, Robert Horton scored his first win of the year, coming from middle of the pack and holding off Jamie Altop and Eric Cain in the final laps. Joel Cox was fourth, with points leader Chris Black of Fountain Inn rounding out the top five.
Jason Morrow of Hendersonville, NC continued his winning ways in the Charger Two feature race, his third victory of the season. Steve Guthrie advanced through the field to place second. Jeff Shiflett, Ben McCall and Don Christie filled in the third through fifth place positions.
Chad Hunter was declared winner of the of the Renegade One event after the apparent winner failed to clear post-race technical inspection. Anderson's Gary Greenwood was second, with Johnny Padgett placing third. Bobby Sorgee and Andy Norris finished fourth and fifth respectively.
Jeff Key took the checkers in the second Renegade race with Tim Crowe second and Tim Bell placing third. Rick Burnett and Nick Sears rounded out the top five.
The speedway returns to NASCAR weekly racing series this coming Friday, May 14. One of only two Friday night cards on the 2004 schedule gets under way this Friday with the gates opening at 4pm, the first green flag set to fly at 8pm. Adult general admission will be $10, kids under 12 free with a paying adult. The Greenville Pickens Speedway is located at the intersection of Highways 123 and 124 between Greenville and Easley. For more information call the track front office at 269-0852, or visit their website at greenvillepickens.com.
Results for Greenville Pickens Speedway May 8, 2004
Pole Winner: David Roberts 20.529 87.681
1. Marty Ward Marietta, SC
2. Kenneth Headen Piedmont, SC
3. David Roberts Simpsonville, SC
4. Blair Addis Greenville, SC
5. Anthony Anders Greenville, SC
6. Ken Guthrie Easley, SC
7. Tyler Bob Mangum Powdersville, SC
8. Kyle Gregson Simpsonville, SC
9. Ray Spearman Piedmont, SC
10. Michael Burt Belton, SC
11. Brad Jeter Greenville, SC
12. Jeff Pittman
1. Robbie Jackson Iva, SC
2. Tim Sams Greenville, SC
3. Chris Meinders Liberty, SC
4. Stanley Pressley Travelers Rest, SC
5. Mitchell Mote Greenville, SC
6. Shane Gentry Greenville, SC
7. Eddie Trammell Greer, SC
1. Chad Hunter Greenville, SC
2. Gary Greenwood, Sr Anderson, SC
3. Johnny Padgett
4. Bobby Sorgee Easley, SC
5. Andy Norris Greer, SC
6. Matt Craddock Easley, SC
7. James Hall Greenville, SC
8. Trey Padgett Dacusville, SC
9. P. D. Herring Easley, SC
10. Tony Newman Liberty, SC
11. Rickey Mann Easley, SC
12. Mark Barnett Greenville, SC
1. Jeff Key Taylors, SC
2. Tim Crowe Greenville, SC
3. Tim Bell Greenville, SC
4. Rick Burnett Greenville, SC
5. Nicholas Sears Easley, SC
6. Jeff Key, Sr. Taylors, SC
7. Jim Reynolds Greenville, SC
8. Darrell Meinders Liberty, SC
9. Melissa Yearwood Easley, SC
10. Tony Rapien
11. Michelle Bayre Greenville, SC
12. Brandy Newman Lilburn, GA
13. Monte Gantt
14. Mark Fant Piedmont, SC
1. Robert Horton Greenville, SC
2. Jamie Altop Clemson, SC
3. Eric Cain Greenville, SC
4. Joel Cox Greenville, SC
5. Chris Black Fountain Inn, SC
6. Josh Sams Greenville, SC
7. Bryan Davis Greenville, SC
8. Gary Stokes Greenville, SC
9. Travis King Travelers Rest, SC
10. Zane Jannelli Greenville, SC
11. Steve Brown Pendleton, SC
12. David Rocklein Piedmont, SC
13. Mike Duckett Greenville, SC
14. Branson Allison Travelers Rest, SC
1. Jason Morrow Hendersonville, NC
2. Steve Guthrie Easley, SC
3. Jeff Shiflett Belton, SC
4. Ben McCall Easley, SC
5. Don Christie
6. Jason Smith Anderson, SC
7. Jamie Passmore Greenville, SC
8. Michael Pittman Greenville, SC
9. Michael Davis Greenville, SC
10. Bob Root Easley, SC
11. Anthony Cordell Waterloo, SC
12. Jimmy Henson Liberty, SC
13. Mike Hughes Greenville, SC
14. Terry King Piedmont, SC