I-94 Raceway results 2005-05-21
Thiesse Wins Photo Finish At I-94 Raceway SAUK CENTRE, MN (May 21, 2005) - It's been almost a year since Nate Thiesse has run a race, but that didn't show as he put together an incredible run as he won the ASA Super Late Model Feature at the ...
Thiesse Wins Photo Finish At I-94 Raceway
SAUK CENTRE, MN (May 21, 2005) - It's been almost a year since Nate Thiesse has run a race, but that didn't show as he put together an incredible run as he won the ASA Super Late Model Feature at the I-94 Raceway in Sauk Centre. Outside Polesitter Tim Olson took the lead on the opening lap. A pair of early race cautions slowed the action as Olson continued to show the way. Fifth starting Blake Bjorklund quickly moved to challenge and on lap six, he took over out in front. Bjorklund wasted no time opening up a sizeable advantage of a full straightaway. Meanwhile, fifteenth starting Thiesse was on a tear as he quickly worked his way through the field and by lap 19, he moved past Olson to take the second spot. Rob Dubnecay and Eugene Dick tangled on lap 22 to bring out the race's final caution. Bjorklund handled the restart with Thiesse right behind. The leaders pulled away from the rest of the field, while no more than a car's length separated them in the final few laps. On the last lap, both cars were even as they went down the backstretch. As the front pair exited the final turn, Bjorklund and Thiesse got sideways, making contact with each other and the wall just feet from the finish line. The cars crossed the line side-by-side with Thiesse taking the win by .023 seconds, the closest finish ever at the I-94 Raceway.
Kevin Woeste had his car tuned to perfection as he won the Modified Feature. Starting on the front row, Woeste had a clear shot at the lead as he took the spot in the charge into the first turn. Rich Snyder looked strong as he pulled in right behind Woeste with John Notch there as well. Just past the half-way point, Snyder's car began to smoke, eventually forcing him to the pits and out of the running for the win. Back out front, Woeste showed the way with Notch several car length's back. The margin would stay that way, the rest of the way as Woeste led every lap and took home the win.
Jaycen Brockhouse outran his toughest competitor, his dad, Tim Brockhouse in the Great North Legends Feature. Starting on the pole, Jaycen took the lead from the get-go as Tim tucked in behind. The only break in the action happened on lap four, when Beaner Wiese was involved in a turn two incident and his car caught fire. Wiese was uninjured, but out of the race. When racing resumed, it was Jaycen and Tim showing the way with everyone else not too far behind. Dirk Henry closed the gap in the third spot, but that was as high as he would get as Jaycen and Tim rounded out the race, making it a Brockhouse sweep of the top two positions.
Patrick Amelung had plenty to celebrate as he spiked his helmet in Victory Lane following his win in the Thunder Car Feature. Polesitter Bryce Ecklund's stay up front only lasted until the first turn, when he spun on the opening lap. When the race got going Amelung shot off with the lead with Lance Stueve right behind. Amelung ran hard and kept everyone else from making a bid as he led every lap on his way to the win. Jerry Messer got by Stueve on the last lap to finish second.
Andy Mayavski has been so close to getting his first win and it was a close finish that put him in the Winner's Circle in the UCAR Feature. David Bolstad led the scramble at the start, but Mayavski gained the advantage and took the lead. Bolstad stayed right with Mayavski shadowing his every move. With five laps to go, Bolstad led across the line by a wheel, but the next time around Mayavski had the lead by about the same distance. The leaders ran next to each other the final laps, never making contact with Mayavski taking the win and Bolstad right next door in second.
The Northern Vintage Stock Car Racers made their first ever visit to I-94 Raceway and Rick Lepinski in his '33 Plymouth was the class of the field as he took the win. Mark Peine in his '66 Edmund's Super Modified was second and George Shields in his '62 Super Modified was third.
I-94 Raceway Results
May 21 2005
ASA Super Late Models
1. Bob White (Spring Lake Park) 2. Jon Olson (Hamel) 3. Matt Gottwald (Willmar) 4. Gordy Mason (Excelsior) 5. Tory Nygren 6. Danny Edenloff (Alexandria)-DNS
1. Rob Dubnecay (Maple Grove) 2. JR Studniski (St. Joseph) 3. Jeff Lofquist (Fergus Falls) 4. Darin Nelson (Isanti) 5. Tim Dehaan (Pine City) 6. Eugene Dick (Watkins)
1. Nate Thiesse (Brainerd) 2. Tim Olson (Hamel) 3. Trent Snyder (Ironton) 4. Joe Berthiaume (Rogers) 5. Blake Bjorklund (Isanti) 6. DJ Dondelinger (Brainerd)
1. Nate Thiesse 2. Blake Bjorklund 3. Eugene Dick 4. Trent Snyder 5. JR Studniski 6. Darin Nelson 7. Tim Olson 8. Bob White 9. Joe Berthiaume 10. Matt Gottwald 11. DJ Dondelinger 12. Tim Dehaan 13. Tory Nygren 14. Jon Olson-DNF 15. Rob Dubnecay-DNF 16. Jeff Lofquist-DNF 17. Gordy Mason-DNF 18. Danny Edenloff-DNF
1. Joey Johnson (Alexandria) 2. Rich Snyder (Alexandria) 3. Kevin Woeste (Waite Park) 4. Jeff Rohner (Willmar) 5. Jonathan Olmscheid (Elrosa)
1. Tony Robertson (Darwin) 2. John Notch (St. Cloud) 3. Jeremy Fleck (Sauk Rapids) 4. Corey Flynn (Alexandria) 5. Jerry Voigt (Cold Spring)
1. Kevin Woeste 2. John Notch 3. Jeff Rohner 4. Corey Flynn 5. Joey Johnson 6. Tony Robertson 7. Jerry Voigt 8. Jonathan Olmscheid 9. Jeremy Fleck 10. Rich Snyder-DNF
Great North Legends
1. Dirk Henry (Sauk Centre) 2. Jaycen Brockhouse (Shorewood) 3. Robby Carter (Prior Lake) 4. Chad Flynn (Alexandria) 5. Stan Davis (Maple Grove) 6. Paul Hartman (Willmar) 7. Rick Dubay (Coon Rapids) 8. Joe Kostreba (Sauk Centre) 9. Gary Oie (St. Paul)
1. Cal Lease (Little Falls) 2. Jon Lewerer (Coon Rapids) 3. Tim Brockhouse (Shorewood) 4. Charlie Balderston (Freeport) 5. Zac Davids (Apple Valley) 6. Matt Hendrickson (Albany) 7. Mike Turbes (North Mankato) 8. Rollie Davidson (Eagan) 9. Bruce Allen (Chanhassen)
Last Chance Qualifier
1. Tyler Sjoman (Alexandria) 2. Scott Petty (Elk River) 3. Ryan Johnson (Eagan) 4. Beaner Wiese (Sauk Centre) 5. Jake Varnum (Morris) 6. Patrick Brejcha (Alexandria) 7 Jeff Ryan (Grand Forks, ND)
1. Tim Brockhouse (19.004 sec.) 2. Jaycen Brockhouse (19.114 sec.) 3. Zac Davids (19.148 sec.) 4. Tyler Sjoman (19.154 sec.) 5. Dirk Henry (19.166 sec.) 6. Matt Hendrickson (19.210 sec.)
1. Jaycen Brockhouse 2. Tim Brockhouse 3. Dirk Henry 4. Zac Davids 5. Matt Hendrickson 6. Jon Lewerer 7. Stan Davis 8. Paul Hartman 9. Charlie Balderston 10. Cal Lease 11. Rick Dubay 12. Chad Flynn 13. Tyler Sjoman 14. Bruce Allen 15. Scott Petty 16. Gary Oie 17. Rollie Davidson 18. Robby Carter 19. Mike Turbes 20. Joe Kostreba 21. Ryan Johnson 22. Patrick Brejcha 23. Jake Varnum-DNF 24. Beaner Wiese-DNF
1. Jerry Messer (Sauk Centre) 2. JB Berthiaume (Rogers) 3. Lee McDougall (Monticello) 4. Joe Karl (Osakis) 5. Troy Nelson (Alexandria) 6. Bryce Ecklund (Sauk Centre) 7. Jim Larkin (Monticello) 8. Luke Gottwald (St. Martin) 9. Justin Wolbeck (Sauk Centre)
1. Nick Panitzke (Sauk Centre) 2. Matt Hoeschen (Sauk Centre) 3. Lance Stueve (Greenwald) 4. Patrick Amelung (St. Joseph) 5. Jarmin Henry (Sauk Centre) 6. Matt Miller (Glenwood) 7. Jason Schroepfer (Comfry) 8. Doug Olmscheid (Padua)
1. Patrick Amelung 2. Jerry Messer 3. Lance Stueve 4. Matt Hoeschen 5. LB Berthiaume 6. Jason Schroepfer 7. Nick Panitzke 8. Matt Miller 9. Justin Wolbeck 10. Jim Larkin 11. Joe Karl 12. Lee McDougall 13. Doug Olmscheid-DNF 14. Jarmin Henry-DNF 15. Luke Gottwald-DNF 16. Bryce Ecklund-DNF 17. Troy Nelson-DNS
1. Marc Rosenow (Grey Eagle) 2. David Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 3. Dan Bolstad (Fergus Falls) 4. Josh Christy (Sauk Rapids) 5. Craig Maack (Pelican Rapids) 6. Corey Flynn 7. Chad Burke (Alexandria) 8. Dave Heurung (Long Prairie)-DNS
1. Andy Mayavski (St. Cloud) 2. Alan Thompson (Waite Park) 3. Matt Peterson (Upsala) 4. Billy Weyer (Sartell) 5. Kurt Peterson (Upsala) 6. Bobbi Joe Maras (Grey Eagle) 7. John Herrly (Carlos)
1. Andy Mayavski 2. David Bolstad 3. Dan Bolstad 4. Alan Thompson 5. Matt Peterson 6. Josh Christy 7. Corey Flynn 8. Billy Weyer 9. Bobbi Jo Maras 10. Kurt Peterson 11. Craig Maack 12. Chad Burke-DNF 13. John Herrly-DNF 14. Marc Rosenow-DQ
Northern Vintage Stock Car Racers
1. Mark Peine (White Bear Lake) 2. Marv Sayre (Oakdale) 3. George Shields (Cameron, WI) 4. Gary Whipple (Crosby) 5. Rick Lepinski (New Richmond, WI) 6. Dave Lepper (Cohasset)
1. Rick Lepinski 2. Mark Peine 3. George Shields 4. Gary Whipple 5. Marv Sayre-DNF