9 TIME USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR CHAMPIONS- HOFFMAN AUTO RACING CELEBRATE A SIGNIFICANT ANNIVERSARY THE OPENING ROUND OF THE USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR SEASON MARKS THE 80TH YEAR OF COMPETITION FOR HAR Loveland, OH (Feb 19, 2009) -- When ...
9 TIME USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR CHAMPIONS- HOFFMAN AUTO RACING CELEBRATE A SIGNIFICANT ANNIVERSARY
THE OPENING ROUND OF THE USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR SEASON MARKS THE 80TH YEAR OF COMPETITION FOR HAR
Loveland, OH (Feb 19, 2009) -- When Gus "OldTimer" Hoffman purchased his first race car, a Speedster in 1929 , he could not have envisioned the racing future for his family. How could "Old Timer" have known that Hoffman Auto Racing(HAR) would have competed in 7 Indy 500's ,become the winingest team in the history of USAC National Sprint Car racing and still be winning championships 80 years later. In 2008 HAR won an unprecedented 9th USAC National Sprint Car Championship.
"Old Timer would be so proud of his son Richard, team owner, his grandson and chief mechanic Rob and his son Tommy for carrying on a family tradition of winning . Gus also would be happy to know that the 4th generation Hoffman is beginning his racing career, as great grandson A.J., drives a .25 midget.
HAR plans on celebrating this remarkable accomplishment with a commemorative t-shirt featuring Hoffman race cars from different decades and the names of all the drivers who have driven the cars over the years. There will also be special autograph cards and posters. The annual race shop fish fry will also be a special occasion with many past drivers attending the party.
Highlights of the Team's history include:
- 1929-1960 Gus campaigned Sprint Cars and Midgets, his drivers included Eddie Sachs, and Don Branson
- 1964 Gus's son Richard became co-owner of the Team
- 1973-1984 HAR fielded Indy Cars, including 7 Indy 500 starts
- 1989 HAR won the first of 9 USAC National Sprint Car Championships with Rob Hoffman as the crewchief('92,'93,'96,'97,'99,'02,'04, 17;08)
- HAR is the winingest Team in USAC Sprint Car history with 9 championships and 72 National wins. HAR also has 7 Silver Crown wins for a total of 79 USAC National wins.
- 2003 recognized for excellence by the Ohio State Senate and House of Representatives
- HAR has finished in the top 3 in USAC National Sprint Car owners points 16 times since 1989 Drivers from the past 80 years reads like a who's who of racing: Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Tracy Hines, JJ Yeley, Kasey Kahne, Kenny Irwin Jr, Rich Vogler, Dave Darland, Johnny Parsons Jr., Tim Richmond, Jay Drake, Brian Tyler, Robbie Stanley, Eric Gordon, Steve Butler , Jerry Coons Jr. Ryan Newman, Dave Steele, George Snider, Tom Bigelow Shorty Templemen, Don Branson, Eddie Sachs, Bill Puterbaugh, Elmer George, Pancho Carter, Roger Ward, Andy Michener. In all approximately 123 drivers have competed in the Hoffman cars. Of those there are four father/son combinations , Dick and Dickie Gaines, Jim and Tracy Hines Kerry and Dave Norris, Clark and Shorty Templemen. Two brother combinations, Larry and Steve Cannon, Pancho Carter and Johnny Parsons Jr. HAR also had a stepgrandfather and stepgrandson combination of Elmer George and Ed Carpenter.
HAR plans on running for another USAC National Sprint Car Championship in 2009 with USAC Triple crown winner Jerry Coons Jr. wheeling the famous number 69 on dirt and pavement.
Primary sponsorship will continue from Kroger and Tide, with associate sponsorship from Bounty and Pringles.
Manzanita: Pre-event news 2009-02-18
Manzanita prelim results 2009-02-20