Australia to open sporting events to crowds in July

Australia will allow up to 10,000 people into sporting events as of some point next month Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced.

Australia to open sporting events to crowds in July

Morrison confirmed a raft of changes as part of a 'Step 3' of easing restrictions, the timing of which will ultimately be determined by the individual states and territories, but is expected to be rolled out during July.

Venues capable of holding up to 40,000 people will be allowed to operate at 25 per cent capacity, opening the door for limited crowds to return to sporting events, concerts and festivals.

The events, however, have to be ticketed and seated.

"It would have to be a large, open area," said Morrison. "There would need to be seats at the appropriate distance. It would need to be ticketed, so people would be able to understand who was in attendance at that event."

The seating rule means it's unclear how it will affect motorsport, particularly at venues without significant grandstand infrastructure.

However Motorsport Australia CEO Eugene Arocca has still welcomed to decision, and is confident it will benefit motor racing in the near future.

Read Also:

“While today’s announcements on crowd numbers are more clear for traditional stadium sports, we’re confident that given our hard work behind the scenes, motorsport can enjoy the benefits of the relaxed restrictions in a safe and sustainable way in the coming weeks and months," he said.]

“Both myself and our hard working Motorsport Australia staff are in regular dialogue with all levels of government and we will continue to provide advice to our members and clubs about how these restrictions will apply to motorsport, including understanding how crowds at events such as the Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships and the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship can return as soon as possible.

“We must ensure that we do things properly, in consultation with all levels of government, and do not risk any outbreaks at events. The detail in Return To Race and the issuing of permits is being done with the utmost care for not only everyone involved in the sport, but also for the entire community.”

Supercars is known to be hoping to welcome campers and crowds to its Winton round in mid-July.

Meanwhile Australia's state borders are beginning to open, which will ease the burden on race teams looking to take part in national championships.

South Australia has announced its hard border closure will end on July 20, while Queensland – home for Triple Eight, DJR Team Penske, Matt Stone Racing and Team Sydney – is working towards opening on July 10.

Western Australia and the Northern Territory are yet to offer a clear re-opening date.

As first revealed by Motorsport.com yesterday, Supercars is set to revamp its revised schedule to ensure the season finishes inside the 2020 calendar year. 

shares
comments
Supercars confirms Sydney night race plan

Previous article

Supercars confirms Sydney night race plan

Next article

Tickford unveils renovated workshop ahead of Supercars return

Tickford unveils renovated workshop ahead of Supercars return
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020