No border exemption for Supercars race director Schenken

Supercars race director Tim Schenken won't travel to Sydney for this weekend's Sydney Motorsport Park event after failing to secure an exemption to cross the closed New South Wales border.

No border exemption for Supercars race director Schenken

Schenken wasn't part of the border dash from Melbourne last Monday, which saw five Supercars teams, a handful of Super2 teams and some Motorsport Australia staff head straight to NSW when news of the upcoming closure first broke.

Motorsport Australia was instead hoping to secure an exemption for the long-time race director, however with that request turned down Schenken has been forced to stay in Melbourne.

Deputy race director James Taylor, who was part of Monday's border raid, will take over the chief role for this weekend's three races.

Taylor does have experience in the big chair, most recently at the 2020 Bathurst 12 Hour.

“Tim is certainly a very important part of Supercars’ events, however given the current COVID-19 restrictions he has been unable to travel to Sydney," explained Motorsport Australia CEO Eugene Arocca.

"In addition the requirements around self-isolation, without an exemption, would have made it in impractical for Tim to attend.

“While this year has certainly been unique and challenging, we always have plans in place should certain personnel not be available and we’ve quickly enacted these plans with as little disruption as possible.

"We know James, along with all those in race control, and the many volunteer officials around the circuit, will do a fantastic job this weekend.”

Read Also:

It's unknown exactly when Schenken will be able to return to the RD role, given that Melbourne is back to Stage 3 restrictions and both the Northern Territory and Queensland – the next two stops for Supercars – are also not accepting travellers from Victoria.

For the time being, however, Schenken says he'll enjoy watching the coverage of the day-nighter in Sydney.

“I am certainly going to be watching on TV and have full confidence in James and everyone in race control who will do a terrific job,” he said.

“Motorsport Australia has many talented and dedicated officials ready to step up, so the show can certainly go on without me.

“I look forward to getting back into the race director chair in the near future.”

shares
comments
Supercars not postponing Darwin just yet
Previous article

Supercars not postponing Darwin just yet

Next article

Supercars teams set for Queensland hub

Supercars teams set for Queensland hub
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020