Crowd slump could see Adelaide 500 scaled back

Scaling the Adelaide 500 back from four days to three isn't off the table after last weekend's event produced the lowest crowd in 17 years.

Crowd slump could see Adelaide 500 scaled back

The season-opening Supercars round brought just 206,000 people through the gates between Thursday and Sunday, the lowest total tally since moving to a four-day format back in 2004.

That included a drop in Sunday numbers from 91,500 in 2019, when the Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined the post-race entertainment, to 66,000 this year.

Speaking with Triple M radio in Adelaide on Monday, Events South Australia executive director Hitaf Rasheed said detailed research will be conducted into the slump.

She also didn't rule out a move back to a three-day format, last used in 2004.

"I think 200,000 across four days, in anyone's terms, is still great numbers," she said.

"And it's still the jewel in the [Supercars] crown along with Bathurst, we shouldn't lose sight of that.

"But it's tough times. Consumers' tastes are changing, they don't necessarily want four days of racing, all day, every day. So we have to look at what consumers are looking for there.

"Some of the races around Australia have knocked a day off. Our research, to date, hasn't told us that that's the right thing for us. But again, we go through the process at the end of each event, we debrief, and then we'll see what we think is the best outcome for everyone."

Supercars is already looking at dropping its sole Thursday practice session, first added to the schedule last year, based on feedback from teams after hosting both the mandatory pre-season test, and the opening round, on the same week.

Teams tested at The Bend, just over an hour out of Adelaide, on Tuesday, before that first practice session in the state capital on the Thursday afternoon.

According to Triple Eight team manager Mark Dutton, the decision to combine the test and the race this year proved to be a "false economy". 

While the move did turn what would have been two trips into one for teams, the trade off was that everyone was on the road for over a week.

Between changes to aero, engines and dampers, and three teams adding additional cars for the new season, Dutton reckons there would have been a category-wide benefit to being able to return to the workshop between the test and the first race.

"It's been a long week," he told Motorsport.com.

"It's a false economy; people think it saves money, but it doesn't.

"We got through it, but I think... we had three teams expanding to more cars, brand new dampers throughout the field, wheel nuts had to be upgraded... we had all of these factors, and they didn't give teams time to do a test day, go back to base, iron out kinks, work on parts and engineer things.

"Every team pushed on pretty hard.

"I'm not saying next year it wouldn't be the right thing to do, but for this year I don't know if it was the right call."

Dutton clarified that the team hadn't apportioned any of the blame for Shane van Gisbergen's Sunday woes, including a refuelling blunder, on the workload.

"I'm not saying that because of mistakes that happened on our car," he said. "They were just mistakes that we'll rectify."

shares
comments
Penske not interested in 'scrapping' current Mustang for 2021

Previous article

Penske not interested in 'scrapping' current Mustang for 2021

Next article

Walkinshaw buoyed by "real energy" at WAU

Walkinshaw buoyed by "real energy" at WAU
Load comments
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver Prime

Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver

Scott McLaughlin, two-time and current Supercars champion, should have been making his NTT IndyCar Series debut for Team Penske at the GP of Indianapolis, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced a rescheduling that has put the brakes on his career switch. But David Malsher-Lopez explains why the New Zealander deserves this opportunity as soon as possible.

IndyCar
Jul 4, 2020