Mixed reaction to Supercars race cancellation

The decision to cancel the 2020 Australian Grand Prix has sparked a mixed reaction in the Supercars paddock.

Mixed reaction to Supercars race cancellation

Formula 1, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation and the FIA agreed to pull the pin on the event this morning, after a member of the McLaren team returned a positive test for COVID-19 yesterday.

The cancellation included all on-track activity, including the second round of the Supercars championship.

Unlike F1, the Aussie touring car category had already kicked off its Albert Park weekend, staging two practice sessions and two qualifying sessions across Thursday.

Supercars has confirmed it will try and replace the cancelled races later in the season.

The Albert Park situation has been met with mixed reaction from members of the Supercars paddock.

When asked by Motorsport.com if he agreed with the decision, Tickford's Lee Holdsworth said: "No I don't. I don't agree.

"What other sporting codes are doing is shutting out the spectators. I think that reduces the chance of [the virus] spreading.

"You know, we've been here for days on end now, so if pitlane has got it, you can't escape it now.

"I don't know the reasons behind Formula 1 management shutting it down, but unfortunately all of the cameras here are owned by Formula 1 and all the equipment. So if they shut down their show, it shuts down ours.

"I would've like for it to go ahead, for television, for our sponsors, for the fans to watch."

David Reynolds joked that the cancellation lived up to the Aussie tradition of 'chucking a sickie', before admitting he's unsure whether it was the right call or not.

"I can honestly say this is the first time I've taken a sick day without actually being sick!" he said.

"Honestly, I have no idea if it was the right decision. It's an odd feeling, very strange.

"We could have probably kept racing, but if Formula 1 cancels, we're the support category so I guess we have to follow suit."

Several team bosses, meanwhile, have released statements supporting the decision.

“It is unfortunate that we will not be able to race this weekend, however in these unprecedented circumstances we support this decision made by Supercars and the Australian Grand Prix organisers," said Tickford CEO Tim Edwards.

"As a team, we had already taken several precautions to protect the health of our staff, fans, and the general public, and will continue to do so between now and our next race event.”

Team 18 owner Charlie Schwerkolt added: “What a disappointment it is.

"We were all really excited to race at the Australian Grand Prix but respect to the Australian Grand Prix Corporation for following the advice of the FIA and the government’s health authorities.

“We are all in a holding pattern at the moment, but unfortunately we will not be racing this weekend.”

Walkinshaw Andretti United has also released a team statement backing the call.

"While we are disappointed not to be racing this weekend, we support the decision that has been made to cancel the 2020 Australian Grand Prix," it reads.

"Health and safety of all personnel and attendees is paramount.

"We thank the category and all our partners for their ongoing support in a difficult situation."

shares
comments
Supercars could reschedule cancelled races

Previous article

Supercars could reschedule cancelled races

Next article

Government measures create Supercars uncertainty

Government measures create Supercars uncertainty
Load comments
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver Prime

Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver

Scott McLaughlin, two-time and current Supercars champion, should have been making his NTT IndyCar Series debut for Team Penske at the GP of Indianapolis, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced a rescheduling that has put the brakes on his career switch. But David Malsher-Lopez explains why the New Zealander deserves this opportunity as soon as possible.

IndyCar
Jul 4, 2020