Supercars Bathurst pre-season test "not off the table"

Supercars staging its pre-season test at Mount Panorama during the Bathurst 12 Hour weekend may be unlikely, but isn't impossible according to series CEO Sean Seamer.

Supercars Bathurst pre-season test "not off the table"

As Supercars owns and promotes the Intercontinental GT Challenge season-opener, there have been whispers that the 12 Hour weekend could be used to stage the Supercars pre-season test.

However it's an unlikely proposition, with Seamer admitting that both timing and logistics for teams like Erebus Motorsport and Triple Eight that also field GT entries complicate the issue.

Still, he says it's still being discussed, and is not yet "off the table".

"I think there's two things to think about," he said.

"What does that impact have on the schedule for the teams, our existing teams, and what impact does that have on our teams that may want to enter into the 12 hour as well?

"So, if we were testing on the Thursday or even Wednesday, Triple Eight wouldn't be running a Mercedes with the three guys that they've got in their car.

"You've got to be really careful what trying to load too much does to the dynamic of the event.

"Would people want to do more testing at Bathurst? Absolutely, but it's got to make sense from the time and point of view, and we got to be very careful that we don't end up washing everything out by trying to do too much in one weekend.

"It's been discussed, it's not off the table, but it's something that needs to be fit into the season planning. Because if you're testing this early in the year, then everybody's working over Christmas to get ready. But if you're doing something as part of a summer season, it's a lot easier to justify."

As Supercars looks to cement its summer series switch for 2020, it could actually be that the 12 Hour sits too late in the calendar, rather than too early.

Should the 2020 Supercars season kick off in mid-to-late January as expected, the 12 Hour could feasibly fall after the first round.

Bathurst 1000 street parade being investigated

Meanwhile, Supercars is looking to introduce the 'Track to Town' parade debuted at this year's 12 Hour to the Bathurst 1000 in October.

A handful of GT3 cars toured Bathurst's city streets on the Thursday before the 12 Hour earlier this month, driving from the circuit to the middle of town and then back again after a static display out the front of the Bathurst Court House building.

Dubbed 'Track to Town', the parade was a hit with both the crowd that came out to see the stars and their cars, as well as the drivers who got the unique experience of driving on open roads in a full-blown racing car.

Supercars is now looking to incorporate the concept in the lead-up to October's Bathurst 1000, which could mean Ford Mustang, Holden Commodore and Nissan Altima Supercars hitting the road in the week before the Great Race.

"I'm gutted I missed it, because I came [to Bathurst on the Friday] morning, but it sounds like it went really, really well," said Supercars CEO Sean Seamer.

"I think it's something that we'll continue to do, and I think we're going to look at doing it for the 1000 now as well, getting the cars down there for 1000."

shares
comments
Mustang NASCAR to make special Adelaide appearance

Previous article

Mustang NASCAR to make special Adelaide appearance

Next article

Winterbottom: Triple Eight deal in full swing after poor test

Winterbottom: Triple Eight deal in full swing after poor test
Load comments
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020