Supercars entry tender to wait on 2020 calendar

Supercars will wait until the 2020 schedule is sorted before putting its two available Racing Entitlements Contracts out to tender, according to series boss Sean Seamer.

Supercars entry tender to wait on 2020 calendar

The series has a pair of licences on offer for the 2020 season, after Triple Eight and Tickford Racing each handed one back at the end of last year.

Despite some interest in the RECs for 2019, including an ambitious play from Boost Mobile boss Peter Adderton, Supercars decided to shelve them for a season and run with a 24-car field.

Having confirmed late last year that there would be a tender in 2019, it's now been decided that the process will wait for the summer-based 2020 calendar to be locked down – which means kicking off mid-year at the earliest.

"It hasn't started yet," said Seamer. "We're working backwards from the entry deadline in October.

"There’s a few things that we need to do in terms of planning for next year, around what's happening with the calendar, so that people that are buying a REC, or looking to enter the series, know exactly what series they are entering.

"I think the middle of the year is when we'd like to get out perspectives together, our data together.

"It's quite a bit of work to be done. The calendar needs to be done. So we're looking to do all of our planning for next year earlier, so that it'll lead into the entry deadline a lot more smoothly than what it did last year."

While confident there will be interested in the RECs, Seamer stopped short of predicting they'll be quickly snapped up.

"At the end of the day, as with any motorsport, discussions are one thing, and actions are another," he said.

"We'll do everything that we can to get our work together, get our act together, get the plan together, so that the people who are looking to potentially enter the series have all of the information that they need.

"I can't control what other people are going to do. I can certainly control what we're going to do in terms of putting the information together, and making that decision, whether it's a yes or a no, as easy as possible for them."

shares
comments
Supercars targeting 'damaging' grey areas with new pitstop rules

Previous article

Supercars targeting 'damaging' grey areas with new pitstop rules

Next article

$33 million cash boost for Sydney Supercars night race

$33 million cash boost for Sydney Supercars night race
Load comments
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver Prime

Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver

Scott McLaughlin, two-time and current Supercars champion, should have been making his NTT IndyCar Series debut for Team Penske at the GP of Indianapolis, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced a rescheduling that has put the brakes on his career switch. But David Malsher-Lopez explains why the New Zealander deserves this opportunity as soon as possible.

IndyCar
Jul 4, 2020