Supercars set to investigate more night races

Supercars will look into expanding its portfolio of night time races, following a successful return to under lights action in Sydney on Saturday night.

Supercars set to investigate more night races

The first night race on Australian soil in 20 years proved a hit for the series, which has reported a crowd of 21,220 for the 300-kilometre race alone – 50 per cent up on any single-day crowd from the 2017 Sydney Motorsport Park event.

The two-day crowd was close to 33,000, while TV audiences were up 73 per cent for Friday's prime time practice session, and 17 per cent up compared to Saturday's race in 2017.

Based on those numbers – as well as a swell of positive feedback from people in the paddock – Supercars has confirmed that the concept is set to return to Sydney next year, along with plans to investigate implementing it at other rounds.

“It would be remiss of us to not look at applying the model to other races,” CEO Sean Seamer told the series' official website.

“The television and events teams have done a really good job with the mobile lighting, so there’s nothing to suggest the lighting can’t go to other race tracks in Australia.

“What those races are yet, we haven’t had the discussion, but there are certainly a lot of learnings we can take from the weekend."

Seamer did admit that there was move to room with the concept, scheduling changes and a re-think of the single-race 300-kilometre format the key points raised by paddock insiders over the weekend.

“We’ll do a full debrief during the week with the teams to make sure we’ve got the scheduling right, in terms of where we slot in,” said Seamer.

“We are motorsport fundamentally but we are also entertainment and we need to look at all ways we can make our sport more accessible and digestible for more people.

“That is not just night racing, there are other ways we can do that, including racing in the twilight.”

Twilight racing is understood to be one of the key draw-cards for a potential switch to a summer series. That's not necessarily a short-term prospect, however, with the Adelaide 500 and Australian Grand Prix having already locked down March dates for next year.

Supercars is currently working on its 2019 schedule, which is expected to be confirmed in late September.

shares
comments
Mostert to make IMSA debut at Petit Le Mans

Previous article

Mostert to make IMSA debut at Petit Le Mans

Next article

Reynolds baffled by Supercars startline woes

Reynolds baffled by Supercars startline woes
Load comments
Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match Prime

Why Courtney and Tickford are a dream match

James Courtney has been around the block in his motorsport career it's fair to say. After a single-seater career cut short, he's won everything there is to win in Supercars. Following a rocky ride recently in the Australian category, he's found a happy hunting ground with Tickford Racing.

Supercars
Oct 21, 2021
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020