Triple Eight confirms two-car plan for 2019

Triple Eight boss Roland Dane has confirmed that his team will run just two Holdens in Supercars next season.

Triple Eight confirms two-car plan for 2019

The powerhouse squad expanded to three cars back in 2016 to make room for Shane van Gisbergen, who joined the existing driver line-up of Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup.

With Lowndes retiring from full-time racing at the end of this season, it was understood that T8 was looking to lure Simona de Silvestro and her Harvey Norman backing from Nissan Motorsport.

However over the Sandown 500 weekend it became clear that talks with de Silvestro had collapsed, and that scaling back to two cars was the likeliest option for Triple Eight.

That's now been confirmed, with Dane telling Motoring.com.au that one of the team's three Racing Entitlements Contracts is on the market.

“I said I would only run three cars to house Craig. He’s finishing as a full-time driver, therefore the REC is for sale,” Dane said.

“Our third REC is officially for sale. So we’ll go back to the two-car model, which I like.

“I said we would look at keeping it if there was something sensible. But there was nothing else that stacked up and that fitted into the Triple Eight business plan,” he said.

“We haven’t gone out of our way to get backing for a third car. Again, really, the two-car model is the one I like best. That’s why we’re going back to it.

“As I said, we only went to three cars to accommodate Craig. So it’s logical to go back to two with the Red Bull Holden Racing team ZB Commodores for Jamie Whincup and Shane van Gisbergen.”

The leading contender to buy the third T8 REC is thought to be the Kostecki family, which would promote its Kostecki Brothers Racing squad from Super2 to Supercars.

shares
comments
Bamber says Triple Eight 'could fight anywhere in the world'

Previous article

Bamber says Triple Eight 'could fight anywhere in the world'

Next article

Ford undergoes early Bathurst test with GT simulator

Ford undergoes early Bathurst test with GT simulator
Load comments
How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star Prime

How taming his temper shaped Supercars' slow-burn star

His decision to leave Brad Jones Racing was the biggest shock of the Australian Supercars silly season so far. But for Nick Percat, it comes as the culmination of a personal journey that has made him into one of the most rounded drivers in the series, now in search of a seat that can make him a champion

Supercars
Sep 17, 2021
Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8 Prime

Why replacing Supercars' GOAT with a teenager is worth the risk for T8

On the face of it, picking an 18-year-old rookie to replace arguably the greatest Supercars driver of all time is a risky move. But as Jamie Whincup takes up a team principal role and hands his car to Broc Feeney, it's one that he is confident will be rewarded in the fullness of time - time which wasn't afforded to Whincup in his early days

Supercars
Sep 1, 2021
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Prime

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 29, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Prime

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 24, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020