Buemi still hopes clash between WEC and Formula E can be avoided

Sebastien Buemi says he is still holding out hope that the FIA will be able to resolve the clash between the Nurburgring WEC race and New York Formula E race.

Buemi still hopes clash between WEC and Formula E can be avoided
#5 Toyota Racing Toyota TS050 Hybrid: Sébastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima, Anthony Davidson
Sebastien Buemi, Toyota Racing
Podium: Race winner Sébastien Buemi, Renault e.Dams; second place Sam Bird, DS Virgin Racing; third place Felix Rosenqvist, Mahindra Racing
Sébastien Buemi, Renault e.Dams
#5 Toyota Racing Toyota TS050 Hybrid: Sébastien Buemi, Kazuki Nakajima, Anthony Davidson
Sébastien Buemi, Renault e.Dams

Buemi, who drives for Toyota in WEC and Renault e.dams in Formula E, is the most high-profile name of those affected if both the Nurburgring and New York events take place on July 16 next year, as planned.

There had been suggestions that the former might be pushed back a week, as the rationale for scheduling it on 16 July was because of expectations that the F1 German Grand Prix may be held the following weekend at Hockenheim.

With the German GP having been removed from the F1 calendar, it theoretically leaves the 23 July weekend clear for WEC, if the Nurburgring can be persuaded to change its scheduling.

Speaking at the FIA Gala Awards in Vienna, Buemi says he is still hopeful the clash can be averted.

“We just had two races [in Formula E], it was great to start with two wins,” Buemi. “There might be a clash for me with WEC and Formula E, so… it’s going to be WEC [that I race in], so far.

“But we hope the FIA will able to find a solution and avoid the clash.”

Having stated his Toyota WEC contract takes priority, Buemi suggested that there may be scope for negotiation with the Japanese marque if his Formula E title defence was in danger.

There is a precedent for LMP1 teams to run two drivers per car, such as when Buemi and Anthony Davidson contested the latter half of the 2014 WEC season as a twosome after Nicolas Lapierre was dropped by Toyota.

“It will be important to discuss it with Toyota, or have enough points in the [Formula E] championship [to be able to skip New York],” concluded Buemi.

Additional reporting by Jonathan Noble

shares
comments
Webb likely to stay at ByKolles despite "pretty poor" year

Previous article

Webb likely to stay at ByKolles despite "pretty poor" year

Next article

Porsche confirms Lotterer, Tandy, Bamber for 2017

Porsche confirms Lotterer, Tandy, Bamber for 2017
Load comments
Why Toyota's Le Mans victory was not as simple as it looked Prime

Why Toyota's Le Mans victory was not as simple as it looked

Toyota scored its fourth Le Mans 24 Hours victory and a 1-2, with the #7 car of Kamui Kobayashi, Mike Conway and Jose Maria Lopez beating the #8. But although it looked straightforward from the outside, Toyota faced serious problem that had to be solved with some quick-thinking and ingenuity.

Le Mans
Aug 24, 2021
What we've learned from the Le Mans 24 Hours so far Prime

What we've learned from the Le Mans 24 Hours so far

The new dawn for the FIA World Endurance Championship has arrived at Le Mans, as Hypercars prepare to duel for victory in the world's oldest endurance race. Motorsport.com picks out the 10 things we have learned in the build up to the race.

Le Mans
Aug 21, 2021
Le Mans 2021: The team-by-team guide Prime

Le Mans 2021: The team-by-team guide

After a two-month delay due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2021 Le Mans 24 Hours is set to get underway with the start of the Hypercar era at the Circuit de la Sarthe.

Le Mans
Aug 21, 2021
Can Toyota's #7 crew break its Le Mans curse? Prime

Can Toyota's #7 crew break its Le Mans curse?

One Toyota, normally with the number 7 on the side, always seems to attract the bad luck in the Le Mans 24 Hours. Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi and Jose Maria Lopez are hoping for a change in fortune this time around, but face significantly more unknowns than in recent years

Le Mans
Aug 19, 2021
Why Glickenhaus should be taken seriously on its Le Mans bow Prime

Why Glickenhaus should be taken seriously on its Le Mans bow

Many were quick to dismiss Glickenhaus when the boutique American sportscar firm's entry into the top class of the Le Mans 24 Hours was announced. It's all-new LMH racer, powered by an engine built by a rally specialist, goes in as the underdog against Toyota but the mathematical odds suggest that it has more than just a faint hope of success.

Le Mans
Aug 18, 2021
How 1971's benchmark Le Mans team lost with the best car Prime

How 1971's benchmark Le Mans team lost with the best car

The JW Automotive Engineering team won twice at the Le Mans 24 Hours with ageing Fords and was considered the heavy favourite to add more victories to its tally after partnering with Porsche. But despite being armed with the all-conquering 917, this formidable combination was never as successful in real life as on the big screen.

Le Mans
Aug 15, 2021
Why Jose Maria Lopez isn’t motivated by emulating Fangio Prime

Why Jose Maria Lopez isn’t motivated by emulating Fangio

Having twice missed out on Formula 1 and reinvented himself as a touring car driver, Jose Maria Lopez has had a rocky ride to becoming a four-time world champion. One more would put him level with his nation's favourite son, but there's another prize he would value far more than the honour of matching Juan Manuel Fangio's tally.

WEC
Aug 14, 2021
The understated Le Mans legend who has earned a testimonial Prime

The understated Le Mans legend who has earned a testimonial

OPINION: After 24 Le Mans 24 Hours participations, 50-year-old Emmanuel Collard will be absent from the grid this year, stuck at the mercy of his gold driver grading. But, while he's not motivated by breaking start records, the French veteran is determined to return to the field next year.

WEC
Jul 24, 2021