Series Concord CMS World Finals preview
Previewing the Lowes Foods World of Outlaws World Finals Presented By Bimbo Bakeries and Tom's Snacks Concord, NC-November 2, 2010 -Three action packed nights, three divisions, three titles. The Fourth Annual Lowes Foods World of Outlaws World ...
Previewing the Lowes Foods World of Outlaws World Finals Presented By Bimbo Bakeries and Tom's Snacks
Concord, NC-November 2, 2010 -Three action packed nights, three divisions, three titles. The Fourth Annual Lowes Foods World of Outlaws World Finals Presented By Bimbo Bakeries and Tom's Snacks at The Dirt Track at Charlotte, November 4-6, will be the biggest yet as not only the World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series and World of Outlaws Late Model Series will be showcased, but for the first time ever, the Super DIRTcar Series Big Block Modifieds will join the season ending extravaganza at the state-of-the-art four-tenths-mile. With everything coming in threes this season, it's only fitting that three drivers are battling for the 2010 World of Outlaws champion, with Jason Meyers leading Donny Schatz by 96 points, with Steve Kinser third, 100 markers behind.
The Fourth Annual World Finals kick off on Thursday, November 4 with two rounds of time trials, which will set the heat race lineups for the Friday and Saturday portion of the event. Valuable bonus points will be available to the Top-Five qualifiers in each of those sessions, with it possible for a single driver to gain 10 points in the standings.
Meyers was victorious last season in the opener of the World Finals finishing one spot better than Schatz. In the finale, Joey Saldana picked up the win to score his 20th A-Feature win of the season, becoming just the fifth driver in series history to win at 20 in one year, while Meyers finished third, with Schatz, who set fast time in both qualifying sessions, sixth, to wrap up his fourth consecutive title by a mere 19 points, the closest in series history.
Schatz won the Outlaw Showdown at The Dirt Track at Charlotte back in the spring over Saldana, while Kinser was fourth and Meyers ninth. Schatz leads all drivers with four overall triumphs at the track, while Meyers and Kinser have each won twice.
The World of Outlaws raced in Charlotte for the first time in 2000 and in 17 A-Feature events at the track, 11 drivers have visited Victory Lane. The World Finals was first held in 2007, with Meyers and Kinser splitting wins, while it was Brooke Tatnell and Schatz in 2008, with Saldana and Meyers winning last year.
* The World Finals will determine the 2010 World of Outlaws champion, in what has been the closest three driver race in series history, with just 100 markers the Top-Three with Jason Meyers leading Donny Schatz and Steve Kinser.
* Jason Meyers has won twice at Charlotte during the World Finals and is the only driver that has won more than once in the season ending classic. He has 12 Top-10 finishes at the track including nine straight.
* Donny Schatz leads all drivers with four total wins at Charlotte. He has racked up 20 Top-10 finishes at the track which is second only to Steve Kinser and is tied with the 20-time series champion for the most Top-Five finishes at the track with 16. He is one of just two drivers that has competed in all 24 World of Outlaws events at the track dating back to 2000.
* Steve Kinser has competed in all but one of the series races at the four-tenths-mile, also winning twice and racking up a series-best 22 Top-10 finishes of which 16 are Top-Five performances. He finished fourth earlier this season at the track.
* Joey Saldana is one of just two drivers that has competed in all 24 of the World of Outlaws races at Charlotte, scoring two wins and 15 Top-10 finishes along the way. He led some one lap and finished second earlier this season at the track.
* Jason Sides has six career Top-10 finishes at Charlotte, including a runner-up performance as he looks for his first win at the track. He has finished sixth or better in four of his last five starts there.
* Paul McMahan will be making his first appearance at the World Finals since 2008 this week. The veteran has nine career Top-10 finishes at Charlotte including a seventh-place effort earlier this season.
* Danny Lasoski, who has one win at Charlotte, finished third and seventh last year in the World Finals and has been among the Top-10 14 times in his career at the track and has competed in all but one of the series 24 races there.
* Craig Dollansky has 14 Top-10 finishes at Charlotte in his career with six of those being Top-Five runs as he looks for his first win at the track. He ran fourth in the opener of the World Finals last season and was eighth there earlier this season.
* Lucas Wolfe finished third at Charlotte earlier this season and was eighth in the finale of the World Finals last season as he continues to close in on his first series win.
* Jac Haudenschild, Kraig Kinser, Sam Hafertepe Jr. and Chad Kemenah have all competed in each of the previous three World Finals.
* Ben Gregg, the leading contender for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award, will be making his second straight appearance in the World Finals, while fellow rookie Toni Lutar will be making his debut in the event
By the Numbers: World Finals
0.4- Miles around The Dirt Track at Charlotte
0.77- Margin of victory in seconds for Jason Meyers over Donny Schatz in the opener of the World Finals last year
1- Driver that has won twice in the World Finals- Jason Meyers
2- Drivers that have led laps at Charlotte this season with the World of Outlaws; Drivers that have competed in every World of Outlaws event at Charlotte- Donny Schatz & Joey Saldana
2.8- Average finish for Donny Schatz in the six events held during the World Finals to lead all drivers
3- Drivers that led laps during the two feature events of the World Finals in 2009; Total races for the World of Outlaws at The Dirt Track at Charlotte this season
4- Drivers that have won during the World Finals
6- A-Feature events contested in the first three editions of the World Finals
10- Track records that have been established in time trials this season
11- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws at Charlotte
13- A-Feature wins for Joey Saldana in 2010 to lead the series
16- Top-Five finishes for Steve Kinser and Donny Schatz at Charlotte to lead all drivers
18- Drivers that have won main events with the World of Outlaws this season
20- Drivers that have won a dash to earn a pole position this season
21- Drivers that have been quickest in time trials this season
22- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser at Charlotte to lead all drivers
24- Total races contested by the World of Outlaws at Charlotte dating back to 2000
26- Drivers that have led laps in main events this season
29- Laps led by Donny Schatz earlier this season to win at Charlotte
38- Top-Five finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
56- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser to lead the series this season
57- Drivers that competed in the World Finals last season
96- Point lead for Jason Meyers in the series standings as he chases his first title
368- Laps led by Joey Saldana in A-Feature events to lead the series
617- Miles from Tri-State Speedway in Indiana where the World of Outlaws competed on October 16 to The Dirt Track at Charlotte
2000- Year the World of Outlaws first competed at The Dirt Track at Charlotte
2007- Year the World Finals was first held
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Friday, November 5; Dollars the winner will receive on Saturday, November 6
304,250- Dollars earned by Steve Kinser to lead the series
Tickets: On Thursday, November 4, adult tickets will be $20, with tickets for kids (12-under) $10. Three-day ticket packages are available for $69 for adults and $24 for kids (12-under).
On Friday, November 5, adult tickets will be $39, with tickets for kids (12-under) $15. Three-day ticket packages are available for $69 for adults and $24 for kids (12-under).
On Saturday, November 6, adult tickets will be $39, with tickets for kids (12-under) $15. Three-day ticket packages are available for $69 for adults and $24 for kids (12-under).
For tickets visit www.charlottemotorspeedway.com or call 1-(800) 455-3267.
Elite Racing CMS World Finals Thursday report
Friday World Finals portion moved to Saturday at CMS