Madison: Series qualifying summary
Villwock Leads Qualifiers in Madison MADISON, IND. --- Coming into Friday, Dave Villwock and the U-16 Miss Elam Plus didn't seem to have anything together for the Madison Regatta. Just eight hours before Villwock was crowned the top speed with ...
Villwock Leads Qualifiers in Madison
MADISON, IND. --- Coming into Friday, Dave Villwock and the U-16 Miss Elam Plus didn't seem to have anything together for the Madison Regatta. Just eight hours before Villwock was crowned the top speed with a 155.004 mark, nothing seemed to go right.
First, the team lost its inspection papers and then the computers failed. By the end of all the turmoil, the U-16 team was left on the Ohio River bank without much testing before the day's qualification rounds. But just as dire as things looked, Villwock and his veteran team took the toils in stride to lead the field.
"That is a sign of a good team," Villwock told the American Boat Racing Association after he was crowned the day's top qualifier. "We worked through the trouble and made up for it when it counted."
Virtually from the beginning of the qualification round, Villwock was the man to beat. After posting the top speed, he had little competition.
That was for the exception of defending ABRA champion Steve David and the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto. David, who notched the top speed during testing, was nipping at Villwock the entire day. David's closest mark was just a shade off the pace at 154.551 mph.
Despite the fierce competition, all David could do was look up at the big orange boat of Villwock.
Villwock's pole position sets the stage for another possible dominance in the Madison Regatta. He has won the southern Indiana race seven times. Activities will resume Saturday with testing slated to begin in the morning. Racing will culminate Sunday.
MADISON REGATTA POLE POSITION QUALIFYING
1) U-16, Dave Villwock, Seattle, Wash.,Miss Elam Plus 155.004
2) U-1, Steve David, Lighouse Pt. Fla.. Oh Boy! Oberto 154.551
3) U-7, J Michael Kelly, Seattle, Wash., Graham Trucking 151.016
4) U-5, Jeff Bernard, Kent, Wash., Miss Formulaboats.com 150.562
5) U-37, Jean Theoret, Maple Grove, Que. Miss Bello's Pizza 149.238
6) U-17, Kip Brown, Maple Valley, Wash., Miss Activ Water 137.901
7) U-100, Greg Hopp, Snohomish, Wash., Mirageboats.com No speed
8) U-22, Mike Webster, Reading, Pa., ServPro No speed
9) U-25, Ken Muscatel, Seattle, Wash., Superior Racing No speed
10) U-48, Brian Perkins, Black Diamond, Wash., Albert Lea No speed
11) U-3, Jimmy King, Wales, Mich., Miss Chrysler Jeep No speed
OSS and OPA making progress toward unification
P1: Quterlimits Turkish GP summary