Supercars won't play New Zealand blame game

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer says the series won't be drawn into a blame game over the unexpected move of the New Zealand round from Pukekohe to Hampton Downs.

Supercars won't play New Zealand blame game

The category had originally planned to stage an Anzac Day weekend event at the Pukekohe circuit, only to find out late last year that the track can't be used on Anzac Day (April 25) itself as per the Auckland Unitary Plan.

That forced a last-minute change of venue, with the Hampton Downs circuit – located 30 kilometres south of Pukekohe – now set to host Supercars for the first time.

While not significant in total distance, the move does shift the race outside of the Auckland local government region and into Waikato – a somewhat awkward move given that Auckland Tourism, Events & Economic Development provides crucial backing for the race.

It's since been suggested by local news outlet Stuff.co.nz that the Counties Racing Club, which owns Pukekohe, should have been aware that the event would breach the local regulations.

According to the report the CRC was involved in both the most recent changes to the Auckland Unitary Plan back in 2016, and negotiations to move the NZ Supercars round from the back end of the schedule to the new April date – yet failed to mention the Anzac Day motor racing ban.

Supercars boss Seamer, however, is refusing to point fingers.

"We were taken aback at the end of last year around the challenges for the resource consent," said Seamer.

"We weren't aware of it, obviously.

"We haven't got into a finger-pointing thing about whose fault it was, because we've been flat out getting the event up this year. We're not going to go back and do the blame game, because it's not going to change anything.

"We've got to focus on making sure Hampton Downs is a great event. The race track is fantastic, and it's going to kick up some great racing.

"So we have to make sure that what we can control, which is the event around it, that it's world-class as delivers the fans an experience equal to, or better than, Pukekohe."

Seamer added that there's an ongoing process regarding crowd capacity at Hampton Downs, with the venue working to up the resource consent from 20,000 to as much as three times that.

“It’s been updated to 20,000 but we’re working through an increase of that with [the] Waikato [District Council] at the moment," said Seamer.

"The venue is taking care of the resource consent capacities, we're working with the transit authority there to make sure we've got right egress plans in place.

"It's not going to be a problem, they're pretty happy to have the event there and they're doing everything to make sure it's going to be a good event."

shares
comments
Bold new look for Davison's 23Red Mustang

Previous article

Bold new look for Davison's 23Red Mustang

Next article

Davison set for new Supercars enduro partner

Davison set for new Supercars enduro partner
Load comments

About this article

Series Supercars
Event Hampton Downs
Author Andrew van Leeuwen
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Prime

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

Roger Penske's whirlwind Australian Supercars sojourn is over. After six seasons, three drivers' titles, three teams' championships and a Bathurst 1000 crown, The Captain has sold his controlling stake in Dick Johnson Racing back to the squad and walked away from the category.

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader? Prime

Can Whincup be Triple Eight's ruthless leader?

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But does he have what it takes to be the new Roland Dane?

Supercars
Feb 8, 2021
How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year Prime

How a lifetime Supercars deal broke down in one year

David Reynolds inked what was effectively a lifetime deal with Erebus in 2019 – only to walk out a year later. What went wrong?

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Prime

Why Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a controversial figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his drama-filled boots as the category enters a new era...

Supercars
Nov 3, 2020
Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title Prime

Why 2020 isn't McLaughlin's greatest title

Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around.

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020
Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars Prime

Why a Bathurst finale is risky business for Supercars

The Bathurst Grand Final may provide Supercars its greatest spectacle yet – but there's a risk it will force the series to face a hard truth.

Supercars
Sep 4, 2020
Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver Prime

Why Scott McLaughlin must become an IndyCar driver

Scott McLaughlin, two-time and current Supercars champion, should have been making his NTT IndyCar Series debut for Team Penske at the GP of Indianapolis, but the Covid-19 pandemic forced a rescheduling that has put the brakes on his career switch. But David Malsher-Lopez explains why the New Zealander deserves this opportunity as soon as possible.

IndyCar
Jul 4, 2020
Tickford's 10-year wait for James Courtney Prime

Tickford's 10-year wait for James Courtney

When the Supercars season resumes James Courtney will be a Tickford Racing driver – but it's not the first time the star driver has flirted with the famous Ford squad.

Supercars
May 19, 2020